Gas and Electric Lights Come to the City of San Bernardino
In 1881 the National Gas Company of New York, secured a franchise and put in an extensive [gas] plant.
November 2nd, 1881, the city [of San Bernardino] was first lighted by gas and the Times of that date declares: "Gas under the new dispensation was a brilliant success as was abundantly made manifest last evening."
[In 1891] the city was first lighted by electricity, the San Antonio Electric Co. putting in from 500 to 800 incandescent lights.
(Ingersoll's Century Annuals of San Bernardino County, 1769-1904, pp. 169 & 383)
A Replacement for
Mudge Inspection Car
Built in 1917
Engine: Two-Cycle & Air-Cooled
This gold-weighting scale, used in the late 1800s, sat behind the registration counter of Starke's Hotel. The hotel was built in 1880 by Augustus Starke, replacing the 1858 Pine's Hotel that had been built on the same site.
The Starke's Hotel, shown in the above photograph, was the first two-story brick hotel in San Bernardino and was located at the southeast corner of 3rd Street and Arrowhead Avenue.
The gold scale was donated to the San Bernardino History and Railroad Museum in 2008 by William Starke, the great-great-grandson of Augustus Starke.