On June 3, 1985, Evyln Wilcox
took office as the
First Female Mayor of San Bernardino.
1980 -1999 Historic Dates in San Bernardino and The Railroad:
* In 1983, Southern Pacific and Santa Fe (SPSF) agreed to merge, hence many new paint schemes were tested.
* Seen here in the fall of 1985 is Santa Fe SD-45 #5394 after receiving its new "Kodachrome" paint job in San Bernardino.
* ATSF 5394 was in the process of being upgraded and rebuilt at San Bernardino, and became the first full-size engine to receive the proposed merger paint scheme. It emerged from the shops on August 6, 1985.
* The merger was ultimately disapproved by the Interstate Commerce Commission in 1987.
* Over 300 engines painted with the "Kodachrome" paint scheme had to be repainted, or were retired.
Click here for the Nov. - Dec. SFRH&MS Newsletter that contains several photographs of the SPSF paint scheme that were taken in the San Bernardino shops.
(Photo courtesy of Craig Walker)
* The above photograph shows ATSF 2394, Santa Fe's only Alco RS-1, switching in San Bernardino's B Yard on January 26, 1974. In 1986, the engine became part of the Santa Fe Museum Train.
* This engine was one of nine diesel engines and three steam locomotives (0-4-0 #5 'Little Buttercup', 4-8-4 #2925 and 2-10-4 #5021) that Santa Fe had stored in Albuquerque with the intention of building a railroad museum.
* The museum never materialized and instead the engines were donated to the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento.
* On March 31, 1986, the Santa Fe Museum Train with twelve historic engines departed New Mexico for California.
* As of December 2014, San Bernardino's switcher, #2394, was in the California State Railroad Museum's Shop undergoing restoration.
* The Sep. - Oct. 2014 issue of the Santa Fe Western Archives Newsletter contains several photographs of the historic Santa Fe Museum Train of 1986 and Jeff Staggs discusses the fate of the historic engines.
Click here to view an update on the status of the engines of the Santa Fe Museum Train.
Metrolink Begins Operation
On Tuesday, October 26, 1992 the first Metrolink trains began simultaneous operation on three lines:
* Ventura Line: Moorpark to L. A. Union Station
* Santa Clarita Line: Santa Clarita to L. A. Union Station
* San Bernardino Line: Pomona to L. A. Union Station
Regular service from San Bernardino to Los Angeles would begin in the spring of 1993.
* The 1890 horse-drawn hose wagon was built by Allen Iron Works, located at 368 Third Street.
* It was used by the San Bernardino Fire Department until the 1920s when it was replaced by a motorized vehicle and the wagon was sold by the City.
* In 1982 the hose wagon was discovered to be at the County Museum and was in very poor shape. A restoration project was begun but faltered and the parts were put into storage.
* In 1996, the wagon was moved to the Pioneer Fire Museum in San Bernardino where the restoration was completed. Vic Fisher, a skilled craftsman, spearheaded the restoration project.
* On January 1, 1997, the restored 1890 Hose Wagon made its first appearance in the Tournament of Roses Parade. Since then it has appeared in seven more Rose Parades.
* The 1890 Hose Wagon is owned by the San Bernardino Historical and Pioneer Society (SBH&PS) and is on display in the San Bernardino History and Railroad Museum.
Click here for a pictorial history of San Bernardino's participation in the Tournament of Roses Parades.