The San Bernardino History and Railroad Museum specializes in San Bernardino history and all things railroad. It houses the Santa Fe Western Archives and unique artifacts, surrounded by hundreds of historic photographs.
The Museum is located in the restored 1918 Santa Fe Depot that serves Amtrak and Metrolink passengers and is across the tracks from the BNSF intermodal facility. Over 100 freight trains pass by the depot each day.
Velocipede (19th Century Railroad Vehicle)
The museum contains unique San Bernardino and railroad memorabilia, and one-of-a-kind artifacts, including:
- Antique hand-drawn vehicles and 19th century horse-drawn buggies
- A 1910 railroad statiion recreated with period office equipment, telegraph, etc.
- The first automobile that was operated in San Bernardino
- An 1890 Fire Department Hose Wagon that's been in the Rose Parade eight times
- A 19th century Velocipede (a three-wheeled railroad inspection vehicle)
- Several large antique clocks, including one that hung in the Santa Fe roundhouse office in 1916
- 100 Years of National Orange Show History
- A Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) Machine like the one used in the this Depot from 1973 to 1989
- Model Trains and a half dozen TVs playing railroad videos and history slide shows
- The Museum is open on Saturday, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. (Virtual Museum Tour)
- First Wednesday - Free Tour of the Depot and Museum. Call (909) 884-8276 for a reservation.
Every Other Month:
- Third Wednesday - National Association of Retired and Veteran Railway Employees (NARVRE) Meeting.
- April: Third Weekend - San Bernardino Railroad Days (and Steam Excursion)
- November or December: Date varies - Metrolink "Holiday Toy Express" Christmas Train
- December: First Saturday - Fire Department and Railroad Antiques Swap Meet
- American Institute of Architects' Meeting
- Book Signing by railroad and local history authors
- California Route 66 Dinner
- Car Shows
- Chamber of Commerce Leadership Committee Luncheon
- Free-mo (HO scale modular model railroading) Regional Setup
- Historical and Railroad Society Meetings
- Santa Fe Railway Historical & Modeling Society Mini-Meet
- Scout and School Tours
- Swap Meets
- United Way Awards Banquet
- Western Prototype Modelers Meet
Group tours are available on Saturday or any other day by appointment. Call (909) 888-3634.