The base began as Municipal Airport San Bernardino in July 1942. Over time the name was changed to San Bernardino Army Air Field, San Bernardino Air Field and San Bernardino Air Force Base. On March 2, 1950, the base was renamed Norton Air force Base in honor of Captain Leland F. Norton.
Leland Norton was born in San Bernardino on March 12, 1921, and attended local schools until he joined the Canadian Air Force in August 1941. In May 1942, he transferred to the U.S. Army Air Corps. Captain Norton, an A-20 pilot and Deputy Commander of the 640th Bomb Squadron, was shot down over France on May 27, 1944.
Captain Norton was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) for his heroic actions and is buried in San Bernardino at Mountain View Cemetery.
Click here for a photo history of Captain Norton and Norton Air Force Base.
Click here to link to the Norton Air force Base Museum.