ATSF 3751 was moved into Viaduct Park (just west of the Santa Fe Depot) on May 14, 1958. Attached to the front of the steam locomotive is a push car with an air compressor mounted upon it. The compressor supplies air to the air brakes on the locomotive.
3751 was built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in May 1927 at a cost of $99,713, and was the first 4-8-4 built for Santa Fe.
The engine was retired in August, 1953, and was donated to the City of San Bernrdino in 1958 for display in Viaduct Park. The locomotive remained there until 1986 when she was moved to the former Kaiser Steel Mill in Fontana. There, the restoration was completed after countless hours of work by dedicated volunteers of the San Bernardino Railroad Historical Society and at a cost of more than $700,000.
The locomotive began her second life as a steam excursion locomotive when she was charted to pull the "California Limited" from Los Angeles to Bakersfield and return in December of 1991. Since then, the locomotive has pulled numerous excursions to destinations including Chicago, Sacramento, San Diego and the Grand Canyon.
3751 was in San Bernardino in June of 2004 for the dedication ceremonies at the completion of the restoration of the 1918 Santa Fe Depot. The locomotive has pulled an excursion train from Los Angeles to San Bernardino and return every year from 2010 to 2014 for San Bernardino Railroad Days.
Today, 3751 is stored in Los Angeles at Redondo Junction.
Click here to learn more about 3751 and the San Bernardino Railroad Historical Society.